September 12, 2012

Review: Cygnett Alumni iPad Case

Hi all, if you're getting a new iPad (or already bought one) and are deciding on a case for it, give this one a look over. I was given an iPad case about a month ago from Cygnett, and after some use, I'm now ready to write a review about it.

Here it is! Ta-da! As you can see, I cleaned up my front page a little bit...

I received the Alumni case, with the canvas exterior (which is nice and sturdy and doesn't scratch, although unlike leather/pleather, it's not gonna handle spills very well). There are four colors to choose from: Black, Jade, Cobalt, and Pink. The Jade looked like a fresh minty green to me on Cygnett's website so I chose that one, but it's actually more like a strong greenish turquoise, which is also nice, just not exactly what I had expected.

As you can see, the green looks much lighter on the photo from their website.

I currently have an iPad 2, which is shown in the photos. My husband's getting the new iPad, which we're still waiting for. I think I'll trade him mine.

A few things I noticed:
  • This case is made to fit both the new iPad and the iPad 2.
  • This case is very light, a little over 1 lb.
  • I like the feel of the canvas fabric.
  • It's cover has a magnetic closure, which keeps the case closed while giving it a clean look, however it can be opened easily (whether that's good or bad is up to you to decide).
  • It supposedly has a "sleep/wake" function, which should put the iPad to sleep when you close the cover and turn it back on when you open it. This didn't work very well for me. I had to slam the cover shut pretty hard in order to put my iPad to sleep. If having a reliable "sleep/wake" function is important to you, this may not be the case you're looking for (unless the one you get is more reliable than mine).
  • I like that it has a folder in the cover to keep my notes/scribbles/handouts and such.
  • The buttons along the sides of the iPad are easy to reach.
  • There's an opening in the back for the 2nd camera.
  • It can stand on horizontally and vertically.

Here are a few photos showing where everything is:

The iPad slides in from this side. That little tab tucks into a sleeve and holds the iPad inside.

Standing horizontally.

Sleep button.

Volume buttons.

Charging port.

What it looks like in the case.

Description in the back.

Overall, I like this case and how it looks. I think this would be great for a young person who likes colorful things and who's probably going to stuff this into a crammed bag. I actually saw the Alumni case as well as other Cygnett cases at a huge discount on Zulily (a deals shopping site for moms and babies) over the weekend, but unfortunately it was only for a couple of days and was over by Sunday night so I couldn't post it here :( Oh well.

If you'd like to read about this canvas iPad case, you can check out the product page here. There's also a video there that describes how it works as well as the sleep/wake function. If you already have one of these, what did you think of it?



11 comments:

Stacie White said...

Wow this is really awesome you can do so many things with it

Romantic.Treasures said...

I still have a phone that just operates as a phone. I guess I live in the "dark ages". I do have one question, though - I thought you were always supposed to keep magnets away from computers and such devices ( and screens).

Gabby Schleich said...

Very nice review, unfortunately not something I will be able to purchase anytime soon. I am still trying to figure out all the features on my phone :)

Ariella Kirtley said...

Great looking case! I don't have an iPad (I prefer having a physical keyboard, so I'm sticking with my netbook for the moment), but I'll have to remember the company if I ever change my mind.

Bill Guest said...

great review!! i haven't broken down and gotten and I pad yet but I am sure I will soon!!

BijiBijoux said...

I bought my husband an Ipad few months ago to use it for his new business. also I bought the cover similar to this one. It's awesome how we can use it in many ways. Thanks for sharing with us this company. Pretty colors.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Nice case. I use the one that came with my keyboard.

Dorene said...

I need to get a cover for my iPad. Thank you for the review!

jazs07 said...

The iPad case seems to be pretty in design, overall hows the quality of the case?

@ariella there are some cases that has a keyboard which you can use on your iPad.

mahasiswa teladan said...

Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
thank you :)

Amust Need said...

that's brilliant standing cases for the system equipments Collections.Ipad Standing Case so good.